| WARNER A. "TONY" COFFIN JR.
2009 - Athletic Administration, Coaching - Potawatomi
DATE OF BIRTH: October 10, 1916, Mayetta, Kansas
DATE OF DEATH: September 25th, 1966
- TRIBE: Potawatomi
- EDUCATION: Mayetta High School, University of Kansas, Bachelor Degree, Athletic Administration, Coaching
- Athletic Administration, Coaching
- Baseball Letterman, University of Kansas
- Coached Billy Mills - 1964 Olympic 10,000 meter Champion
- Coached Dr. John Edwards -who set a new record in the indoor 60 yard dash
- Received the Department of the Interiors highest honor - "The Distinguished Service Award" in Washington, DC
- The new athletic facility at Haskell Indian Nations University was named in his honor
- Partial Coaching records: Basketball - 106 wins, 30 losses, Football - 25 wins, 5 losses, Track and Field - Two state Championships, Second in state one time, Third is state one time.
- Coach Coffin's records on the field were indeed impressive, but his record off the field was astounding! He taught honesty, pride, perseverance, respect, loyalty, controlled aggressiveness, sportsmanship, and pride in their Indian Heritage, initiative and punctuality. Tony Coffin lived his short life as an example for his family and the student athletes he touched.